Monday 8 July 2013

Stars: 8 / 10

Thoroughly entertaining. As a Trekkie, I'm tickled by all the little inside-jokes and nods to the original series, peppered throughout the film. Close enough to the original story to feel familiar, but different enough to surprise. Action, adventure, outer space, a clever villain, humour, top-grade special effects, beautiful lighting, quality set design, a decent score, and a hint of sexiness. What's not to love?

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Director: J.J. Abrams
Year: 2013
Main Cast: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana; Karl Urban, Benedict Cumberbatch, Peter Weller, Simon Pegg, Alice Eve, John Cho

Trailer


Extended Review:

Funnier and more spectacular than the first Star Trek reboot, I liked this one even better than the first. The opening sequence was probably my favourite in the film (makes me chuckle, just thinking about it.)

"Into Darkness" gives us more aliens (yay), more Scotty (yay), more interior views of The Enterprise, great big disaster effects, lots of pretty outer space sequences, and a really intense bad guy (yay again). The little twist at the end totally surprised me, and yes, I will admit it, I cried a little. (eeep!)

Benedict Cumberbatch does Kahn beautifully. He's a total departure from Ricardo Montalban
(who played the role in the original series/films), and although I liked Montalban's Kahn, I must say that Cumerbatch NAILS it -- the cold genius is sharper here, and gleams like a blade.


My only real complaints about this film are the beat-em-up fight sequences. Although it was not visually graphic, the meaty sounds of fists mashing into bodies started to get grotesque, and after awhile, I was unable to suspend my disbelief that anyone could take a beating that bad and still manage to get up and walk away, let alone punch back. But, I know, it's a fantasy-action film, so I take it as it is.


Personal bonus points for Zachary Quinto, as Spock, who not only plays a brilliant homage to Nimoy's original character, but also brings unique elements of his own (and omg, he's delicious eye-candy...!) An additional bonus point for a strong Uhura (played by Zoe Saldana).

And as for the little "Millenium Falcon" nod that Abrams snuck in there: oh, you cheeky monkey!



0 comments :

Post a Comment